‘School without Barriers’ project
Recipient: Somatopedická společnost, o.s., Praha
Partner: Alfa Human Service, Praha
Realization: 1.4.2010 – 31.3.2013
Pupils with specific learning and behaviour difficulties are still perceived as a problem group by educational staff and they are often viewed as difficult students by other schoolmates. The three year project attempts to provide development of their educational opportunities within the everyday classroom environment at mainstream schools.
Aims of project:
- equip mainstream school management and teachers in selected districts with reflective knowledge to allow them to work easier with pupils with specific learning disabilities;
- supporting 4 selected districts in the development of educational organizations which will spread the model of inclusive practice to other schools in their districts;
- professional preparation of teachers, school counsellors and teacher aids via modularized programs in further education and e-learning;
- develop the conditions that will allow counselling services to be integrated into the internal environment of the selected schools.
Innovative features of ‘School without Barriers’ project
The main innovative feature of the project is the enrichment of commonly used special educational processes with an inclusive component:
- metacognitive strategies of learning for pupils;
- peer-coaching, peer-tutoring;
- new re-education elements;
- cooperation of pupils with SLD in heterogeneous classes and groups;
- training of pupils´ reflective abilities;
- recognition of pupils talents and giftedness.
Selected Project Activities:
- organization of „round tables“ at 4 pilot schools;
- interactive work with pupils in 24 pilot classes (VTI, detection of relationship network);
- problems identified by school managers, teachers & teacher aids;
- team analyses;
- preparing „Support Package“: providing made-to-measure support to the respective schools (e.g., training for staff in autism – inclusive strategies);
- interactive cooperation with parents and teachers (e-learning);
- development of DYS portal for all aim groups (parents, teachers & pupils);
- interactive cooperation with parents (e-counselling centre, cooperation with co-therapist).